As a manager or HR professional, how do you train your team to adopt new work habits?
How Do You Train Habits That Lead to Success?
The latest science that examines how to create a habit suggests that building habits is possible through such practices as self-awareness techniques and developing momentum through incremental changes. At Zoe Training & Consulting, we are at the cutting edge of this important research to develop the most effective tools for your team, to help your organization achieve its business goals.
Tools to develop successful habits include:
Self-Awareness Tools for Change – These mental practices include the Mindfulness technique, which focuses awareness on the present moment while recognizing and accepting one’s thoughts, feelings and sensations. As part of this exercise, the individual asks themselves: What habits do I already have? Are they positive, neutral or negative?
Micromotion Changes – These are small, incremental changes that create the momentum for large change. For example, instead of preparing to run a 5K road race by going on a 5K walk, simply set a goal to purchase running shoes. After that, set a goal to put on the running shoes for two minutes per day around the house. If you’re trying to form a habit, these micro-changes can create small wins that keep you going and drive later success.
Making the Right Things Easier Than the Wrong Things – For example, if a person is trying to lose weight, having healthy snacks close at hand, while making less healthy foods more difficult to find or obtain, can make a difference.
Providing Rewards and Accountability for Decisions – Charles Duhigg, author of The Power of Habit, talks about how extrinsic rewards can help your brain develop a habit. Rather than relying on willpower or an attitude change, your team members can reward themselves for making good decisions (for example, going for a run before work). It’s important to note that intermittent reinforcement (rewarding yourself occasionally when you perform a certain good behavior) is more effective at creating long-term change than continuous reinforcement (rewarding yourself every time).
Creating Tribes and Support Systems – Building new habits is easier when a person has others supporting them. In a business environment, a support system can take several forms:
- Accountability Partners
- Support Groups
- Professional Resources
- Mastermind Groups
Consistency – A study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology found that habits take 66 days to develop and become ingrained. Habits take time and consistency to develop, but if your team can develop better habits the results can be dramatic.
Contact us today to learn about our skills-based training programs that help employees develop productive work habits!
How Do You Train Employees to Adopt New Habits?
If you need an employee to develop a habit that’s more conducive to business success, here’s a good place to start. Keep in mind that helping employees to break bad habits and develop better ones may require bold initiatives and a deep understanding of worker psychology, not to mention a lot of your time if you try to do it yourself.
- Inspire Without Nagging – Constant suggestions and requests had very little positive effect according to a Harvard Business Review study, whereas working with employees individually was far more inspirational and effective.
- Pinpoint the Problems – Recognizing problems in company processes and staff routines allows for more systemic, long-lasting change and a more productive work environment.
- Provide Clear Team Goals – When the entire company is focused on the same clear goals, it helps all employees to be guided into better habits and more positive behavior.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Challenge the Status Quo – Longstanding company practices and procedures (enterprise-wide “habits”) can frustrate employees and prevent forward motion.
- Create an Atmosphere of Trust – Collect information from all parties before making a decision and ask others for advice. This will build employees’ confidence and encourage them to adopt new behaviors.
Another way to encourage employees to adopt new habits is to teach them important leadership skills through Professional Leadership Training, so that they feel personally invested in the company’s objectives and more inspired to succeed, to further their own career goals. Having a highly educated team at all levels has a positive impact on individual engagement as well as overall company culture.
Zoe’s Creating Habits Training Programs
Many of Zoe’s professional training workshops address daily habits, including identifying and analyzing negative habits and how to replace them with good habits. Our workshops focus on practical training so that your employees can learn valuable skills and techniques for professional and personal development. You’ll find business training that teaches your team how to:
- Work Smarter –Identify time management and productivity problems. Create strategies to reduce distractions, organize the workspace and handle communications.
- Enhance Business Communication – Identify negative listening habits and develop ways to more effectively communicate. Become a better listener with active listening techniques.
- Maximize Their Time – Learn to analyze time management patterns and develop self-discipline, set priorities, limit interruptions, avoid time wasters and handle communications.
- Work Remotely – As more employees work off-site, this requires special skills and tools to manage time, tasks, and interruptions; stay organized; and improve communications.
Other intensive workshops focus on managing multiple priorities, resolving conflicts, decision making and critical thinking, presentation skills, interpersonal communications and supervisor/employee relationships.
Why Choose Zoe Training & Consulting?
For more than 30 years, Zoe Training & Consulting has specialized in customized skills-based training and professional development. We have extensive human resource expertise and present in-depth programs by more than 30 highly experienced trainers, speakers and consultants. We offer flexible programs designed to fit the unique needs of your business. If you want to build habits that are conducive to a positive working environment, Zoe provides your team with the skills and tools they need to succeed.
Contact Zoe for more information about our professional training programs.