Individuals working in high-stress, customer-facing positions face demanding interactions as a regular part of their job requirements. Having to work with people in stressful situations, deliver difficult news, and offer appropriate emotional and logistical support to constituents/clients on an ongoing basis can take a very real toll on the providers.
When the demands of the job outweigh the emotional reserves we have available to us, we can suffer from “compassion fatigue” and related stress which can lead to negative consequences within both a professional and personal context.
This practical, hands-on program offers tips and techniques for using Emotional Intelligence (EQ) to increase resiliency and handle the difficult situations that can lead to compassion fatigue.
Objectives: Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Define “compassion fatigue” and understand the situational factors that can contribute to it
- Identify the 5 main components of EQ and how those can play into personal and professional success
- Implement practical tools and strategies for incorporating EQ to help combat compassion fatigue and stress
- COMPASSION FATIGUE
- What it is
- When it can happen
- The dangers related to not addressing
- 5 KEY ASPECTS OF EQ
- Self- Regulation (Ability to soothe self; Ability to seek and use help/support from others; Ability to recover from emotional distress; Capacity to wait; Sense of humor)
- Motivation (Ability to set and work toward realistic goals; Ability to sustain attention and focus on the task at hand; Ability to persist when there is a setback; Capacity to cultivate optimism, hope)
- Empathy (Ability to recognize emotions in others, take on their social perspective; Cultivating concern and caring for others; Demonstrating thoughtful and kind behavior towards others)
- Relationship Skills (Honest expression of own emotions; Accurately reading emotions of others; Can apologize when wrong; Can give compliments and appreciation; Can compromise and problem solve; Can admit to not understanding; Sense of humor)
- PRACTICAL STRATEGIES FOR UTILIZING EQ TO COMBAT COMPASSION FATIGUE
- Identifying specific situations that drain your individual emotional reserves
- Being aware of when you may be facing compassion fatigue both in an individual interaction as well as on an ongoing basis
- Understanding the existing EQ strengths that you individually bring to your job and strategies for developing those strengths
- Recognizing how differences based on culture, language and other factors affect how we choose to express ourselves along with the ways in which these differences can influence our ability to understand and process emotions.
- Defining and implementing tried-and-true strategies and techniques to improve emotional intelligence and increase both personal and professional